Thursday, October 16, 2008

Allergy Update

Karlie has almost outgrown her egg allergy!! Yeah!! Her Allergist cleared her to eat eggs in baked goods!! We just can't have her sit down and eat an actual egg (but she will probably be able to in the next year or two). He said we could do a food challenge in his office, where they would feed her eggs and see how much she can tolerate, and then we would know if she could eat eggs right now. I just don't think that this is necessary. We have been avoiding eggs for a year now, so it isn't a big deal to us if she can eat a scrambled egg. I think that we will just wait until next year when they re-test her and see what the results are like then. Just being able to bake with eggs is going to make cooking for her so much easier for me. They also gave her a flu shot while we were in his office last week without any allergic reactions. So I am pretty happy with where things stand.

She is still allergic to milk. It did actually get a little bit better, but we still have to avoid milk and all things containing milk. He said that the improvement might mean that she will be one of those kids who will outgrow it someday, but he wouldn't guarantee that of course. We also added peanut to our list of food allergies. She is just mildly allergic. No peanuts or peanut butter, but we don't have to worry about food processing cross contamination. He also said we should avoid physical contact with peanuts as a precaution. But he thinks that a serious reaction needing her epipen is unlikely.
Oh yeah, she also tested positive for latex. It is mild, but seems to be running in my family (my mom and I also have a latex allergy). So if any one is coming to her upcoming birthday, please no latex balloons.

Just though this would be a good way to give everyone who is interested a quick update. Hope you are all doing well. Love to everyone!

1 comment:

Love my babes said...

Yeah Karlie!! I am so happy your mommy can make desserts and dinner w/eggs in them. Yum! I can relate to the milk allergy. I was severly allergic and eventually grew out of it. Here's hoping. Bummer about the balloons but that just means more pretty Mylar ones. Allergies are no fun but you are a tough cookie:o)
Love ya and hope to see you soon!
I am glad you aren't allergic to the pool so we can go play w/you.