I decided that we better get our flu shots today. Not the H1N1, but the regular old flu shot. So I dragged Karlie down to the health department with me and let her watch me get my shot. On the way in she kept asking me if I was scared or not. I told her the truth, that I wasn't. Years of allergy shots have made me immune to shot fear. I got my shot and Karlie got a sticker. (Not fair by the way!)
Then I tell her that we are headed to her doctors office and they will either give her a shot or a little spray up the nose. (I can not have the mist because I have asthma.) She told me that she doesn't wan't anything up her nose and she wants the shot. To make a long story short, it is finally her turn. We walk into the room, I put her on the table and Karlie proceeds to roll up her sleeve and tell Nurse Rebecca that she "wants a shot and not the nose squirt." Nurse Rebecca tells her that the nose squirt won't hurt and will be better than the shot. Karlie insists that she wants the shot in her arm. So poor Nurse Rebecca looks at me like "what should I do?" I told her to just do the nasal mist. So she goes to get it and being the wonderful Nurse that she is, she is totally prepared to bribe Karlie. She comes in armed with two goody machine reward coins. She hands her one and tells her that she can have the second one after she puts the stuff in her nose. And it worked. Karlie layed right down and let her do it. When it was done she said that it just tickled. Nurse Rebecca handed Karlie the other coin and two Backyardigan stickers. And all was well.
I asked Nurse Rebecca how many kids come in there and beg for the shot instead of the nasal mist. She laughed and said "it is really rare, only the weird ones Buffy!" We had a good laugh and went on our merry way.
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment